Thursday, May 29, 2008

I made a chair


Some time last year I was having a bad day, and usually when that happens and there isn't much to be done about it I try to do something to occupy my time and my hands. I'd just gotten a pull-stroke hand saw and decided to try it out in the back yard. I started by cutting down several saplings toward the back of the yard, not sure what I was going to do with them. As I built up a nice pile of straight-ish sapling trunks, I decided to try making a chair out of them. I cut them to length, make the front, then the back, then joined those, all with wood screws. Some of the wood was very soft, so as that wood split a lot, but it still held up fairly well. I split some sections of the wood down the middle and used those as the seat and added some diagonal pieces to make the whole thing more stable. It's not as large or comfortable as a normal chair, but that wasn't really the point of it anyway. I had to add some zip ties to hold together one part in the back that split when I was using the chair as a stool to stand on, but other than that it's dried out and held up pretty well. I'll probably make a better one some time with pre-drilled holes and dried wood. for now, this one lives in my dad's gazebo. My grandma always prefered to do something productive when she was mad, and I'm glad to say I think I picked up that trait from her.

No comments: